August 29, 2013

i'll go inside some day


When I first heard the age change in missionary service, I was soooo excited to go on a mission. Over dinner that night, Heath, Connor, and I were talking about what the timeline would look like for Heath (who could potentially leave on his mission in December). I suddenly realized that ... wow, because Heath would be a missionary, he could go to the temple a year early. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? And because I would be a missionary, I could go to the temple two years early ... I was super, super excited about this.

I've always wanted to enter the temple. Ever since I was little, I've loved the temple and have wanted to be worthy to go inside. It's been my goal this year to keep my sights set on the temple, and I've totally noticed a difference in my life. I've become a little more focused on making good choice and having the spirit with me. Getting my missionary call on Saturday made it possible for me to set up an appointment to attend the temple. People put so much emphasis on the exciting missionary call that sometimes entering the House of the Lord is thought of as an aside or a bonus addition to the call -- however, attending the temple is definitely the most important and life changing event I did this last week. Yesterday, I was able to go to the St. Louis Temple. It was such a fulfilling day.

We left for St. Louis a little early to get a dinner and some missionary shopping in. Oh, heaven help me. I don't really like spending a lot of money. I bought my ENTIRE college bedroom at Wal-mart, and I totally could have gotten it at Goodwill if I had moved a little faster. Missionary appropriate clothing is not always cheap. I learned this as I was looking for shoes that would be comfortable and durable while walking hundreds of miles over the Andes. Unfortunately, the cute, cheap shoes were just not going to cut it. The frumpy, looks-like-a-sister-missionary shoes were so expensive, but they definitely were comfortable and supportive. I went for comfort. I am now the proud owner of some Mary Jane looking, sensible shoes. My dad says they will be good for my mission two-fold, because when I wear them at school, boys will be horrified. I actually really am starting to like them. I'm buying more next week.

After making that super purchase, my mom, dad, and I went to the Cheesecake Factory. I really, really like their cheesecake, and have always been impressed with their burgers. It was nice to be able to sit and talk in the nearly empty restaurant and just be with my parents. I love them. I am going to miss my mom and dad so much when I go out to college. They totally have helped me all throughout my life how to be a good girl and have given me a lot of guidance. It's definitely because of their awesome parenting that I made it to the temple. I MADE IT. I made it through some tumultuous middle school and high school years. I made it through heartache and joy. I still need to make it through the rest of my life ... It just felt really nice to know that I was worthy to go inside to one of my favorite places.

It is such a sacred place. I'd definitely say that there is no other place on earth where you can feel that much peace and happiness. Because it is super sacred to me, I won't blog about what happened in the temple. I just know that the church is true and that Heavenly Father LIVES and LOVES us. He wants us to be happy and to live with our families forever! I've been telling everyone, I cannot wait until I get the chance to be in Rexburg, where there is a temple on campus. For those of you that don't know what LDS temples are, here are the lyrics to one of my favorite Children's Songs in Primary:

I love to see the temple.
I'm going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God,
A place of love and beauty.
I'll prepare myself while I am young;
This is my sacred duty.

I love to see the temple.
I'll go inside someday.
I'll cov'nant with my Father;
I'll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I've learned this truth:
A fam'ly is forever.

On the temple website that I linked to in this post, it talks about the blessings of temple attendance: “As we go to the holy house, as we remember the covenants we make therein, we will be able to bear every trial and overcome each temptation. The temple provides purpose for our lives. It brings peace to our souls—not the peace provided by men but the peace promised by the Son of God when He said, ‘Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.’” I know that when you choose the Lord's path, you will feel that peace that passeth all understanding. I know that families can be together forever. I know that when we are obedient to the voice of Heavenly Father, he will bless us beyond our wildest dreams. I have seen that in my life so many times, and I am ready to give my all in the service of the Lord.

PS. Soon (in like, two weeks), I'm leaving on a roadtrip to college! Things are about to get incredibly busy on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...