September 17, 2012

come what may

I'm sorry it's been a little quiet here. I've just been getting back into a routine because now I have responisibities and homework and yadadada. I thought that since school just started , and because beginning to feel like fall, and because BYU is playing football again, I would catch y'all up on what's going on in Laney Land.

Probably the biggest question that EVERYONE has been asking me is, "How is going back to school?"

The answer is tricky, but also incredibly simple. I love school, and I love that I decided to stay at home another year. I feel like my decision was inspired and so, now, I am totally okay with my choice. Before I actually went to school, I wasn't so sure. I thought about just skipping town and heading off to college/adventure in Rexburg. Or maybe staying half a semester and then graduating. When people asked me if I was looking forward to returning, I would say, "Not at all," because to me, going back was sealing the deal that said you're going to cry all year and have no fun whatsoever. Since I have been in school for a couple of weeks, I have found the opposite to be true.

My classes are incredibly hard, but my teachers believe in me and won't let me fail.
My time is completely gone, but I still find time to snuggle with the babies and play the ukulele.
I meet new people that rely on my friendship every day.
So far I've only had one meltdown ...

It's been a good experience! There aren't many things that I feel like I am missing out on, and I am just loving life in general. Learning how to learn this last year has helped me so much in handling the transition.

Another big transition that has been on my mind recently is the transition from high school to college! Thank goodness that I am not graduating early!! I have a feeling that going through all of that paperwork would give me a conniption. We had a college fair last week (I was volunteering, so I didn't get to really participate) and it was almost overwhelming to see how many directions my life could go. I have always leaned towards a church school (and am still leaning that way, despite the tons of options) but just acknowledging that there were still colleges that I hadn't even heard of that might fit me better. Cray-cray. (That's a slang word for crazy that I've picked up recently. Thanks, School!)

Speaking of church schools -- BYU has been rocking football. Well ... sort of. They won the two home games that they had, but have been committing errors like nobody's business. This all was leading up to their big game against the Utes which they lost for the same reason. To tell you truthfully, I am not a huge, huge megafan of football (I only know the basics of the game) but I am a huge MEGAFAN of BYU football. It has been so fun to get into their games this year as my family, with a slightly mocking attitude, watches behind me.

I went on a run outside the other day and I was just thinking about how blessed I am. I know it's still early in the year, but I can tell that my lesson for the year is going to be my complete reliance on the Lord. Believe it or not, that is something I have struggled with in the past, but this year it has played a key role to my happiness. For example, that one melt down I had came after a fantastic day! I really was walking on air, but I think I became a little prideful and didn't rely on the Lord as much as I should have. That being said, I humbled myself very quickly and from that day on, I have been trying the Lord to see the blessings that will come. And from the direction of the first few weeks of the rest of my life, I can just tell I am going to love it.

I have seen this quote going around recently and I LOVE IT. Joseph B. Wirthlin is one of my heroes and this quote puts so much vibrancy in my life, especially when things get tough. "I know why there must be opposition in all things. Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives. We can learn to love it. As we look for humor, seek for the eternal perspective, understand the principle of compensation, and draw near to our Heavenly Father, we can endure hardship and trial. We can say, as did my mother, 'Come what may, and love it.'"

It will be interesting to see how this year plays out. I hope I can keep perspective as I move forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...