April 25, 2012

my latest obsession

Have you ever been obsessed? I mean really, really, losing sleep and can't think of anything else, obsessed?

I have been obsessed with many things in my life. I might even venture to say that the obsessions are numberless. The Titanic, Harry Potter, China, dinosaurs, Broadway musicals, reading, cleaning, eating, church ... you name it!

I've been going through a little stage recently (although, I sense it's ebb into another stage coming).

Do you want to take a guess?

I guarantee that even if you tried while glancing over this post, you would be dead wrong. (Except for you mom.) So I'll just save you the anticipation.


It's Korean TV. Strange, huh? To be honest, I don't even know how I got hooked on it. The other week I went to my Nandy's house to wish her a happy Easter with my dad. The TV was on, so I lingered a while, like usual, to watch. (My Nandy has incredible taste, by the way). She said that the show was Korean, but it wasn't hard to follow because it had English subtitles. Because I came into the middle of the show, I didn't really have a clue what was going on, but I stayed to the end, because it was a pretty intriguing show. While I walked out the door, Nandy suddenly called out, "The name of the show is City Hunter." My dad shrugged his shoulders, but for some reason, I woke up in the morning and looked up the show on the internet.

Wikipedia says that City Hunter was the number one show in Korea during it's run time. Like I said, I was pretty intrigued, but we were going on a trip to the new Kansas City Temple and I didn't have time to sit down and watch an episode. (By the way, the Temple was awesome! I really felt the spirit as I walked through the rooms, especially the beautiful Celestial Room. And my great-grandpa who I adore was up there at the same time as our group! It was really a perfect trip). The bus had really slow wi-fi, so on the trip home I slowly started to load episode one.

And I never really looked back.

City Hunter is a pretty incredible mixture of romance, action, angst, and comedy. The actors are so charming and the story line is great! (Especially for an almost soap-opera type of show). I made a goal to only watch the show while running. There were 20 episodes, and within a two week period, I ran over forty miles! It was so enrapturing that I ran every day on the TREADMILL! Even though I despise the treadmill. Really, I would recommend it if you don't mind subtitles. Or completely wasting your day watching TV.

I watched the last episode today and I felt such a crazy feeling of emotion. It wasn't sadness, it wasn't joy (the ending pretty much stinks, to be honest), but rather one of closure. I really have been struggling to keep this little obsession at bay, simply because I like to think about a lot of things in my free time. Obsessions are great to have every once in a while, and they definitely add some elation to a monotonous day to day routine, but they are pretty exhausting. I've started to watch another Korean show (and I think I will continue to rewatch City Hunter while I run), but it is not occupying my every thought.

Thank goodness! Now I can obsess over something else ... how about The Black Cauldron?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...