January 5, 2015

Week Fifty-Five: What da heck??

Area: Penco
Companion: Hermana Romney
Hermana Romney's Blog: 2015!!!

Dear familia,

This week was soooo filled with what the heck moments that I can't even begin to describe them. We had soooo much good drama with the Hermanas and investigators and with members. It made life sooo much more exciting. I don't know if you guys remember how nosy I am or how much I love to know about other people's lives ... but it is a problem ... and I will start to explain everything.

We'll start with investigators and move on to the other things.

This week, we were working really hard with a few families that we found last cambio. We got them all to commit to come to church. I really had no doubt in my mind that they would be there yesterday. And I waited ... and waited ... and waited ... and they never showed up. I haven't felt bummed out for a pretty long time. But I got pretty close yesterday. It is just sad when you throw all of your faith into people, when you are FASTING that they will come and be able to receive answers ... and then they don't.

Anyways, we went with our Bishop to one of the families (the family Mejillas -- Roberto, Carolina, Andrea, Emiliana) to see what was up. They are our best potential for baptisms this month, so it was kind of sad that they said that they didn't come for flojera no más. I love this family sooo much and I have felt the spirit in their house more than I have ever felt it before. I know that God is preparing big things for them. Bishop helped us soo much in this lesson to find their doubts and to address them. Actually, we didn't really teach anything ... he just talked with them and helped them to feel at ease.

In the middle of the lesson, we asked them if they had ever prayed to know if they should be baptised. They, to our surprise, said that they hadn't ever prayed about it. (And that makes a world of sense why they wouldn't have been getting their answers). So we prayed right there with them. Afterwards, Carolina looked at us and said, "I feel like I feel every time I pray. I feel really peaceful." We then looked up the scripture in DyC 6 where it says, "Didn't I speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What better testimony could you ask from God." It was powerful. She read the scripture and we asked her what she was thinking ... she said, "I don't know what I am waiting for." So, they are going to get baptised on the 24th. PRAYERS POR FAVOR!!

Sooooo exciting! And I love how we have been able to work with the members with this family. Really, we are seeing so many miracles here in Penco!

Okay, other news. We had to have our first intervention with a couple Hermanas this week. They were not doing so hot and we had been doing some undercover work to see what was going on. It was obvious that they were having some companionship problems ... because it was reflecting in the work. Hermana Romney and I decided to run to their house in the morning as a surprise visit. It was one other realization that I am in a position to help people out ... phew ... what a responsibility.

Anyway, we were able to talk to the Hermanas one on one and it was sooo inspired. I felt inspired to ask specific questions to the Hermana that was having the worst problems (even though she really doesn't like to talk about specific things) and she told me everything. I felt soooomuch love and compassion for her. We prayed to know how to work things out and then she came up with her own answers and DID THEM!! What is incredible is that AFTER that intervention, they had a huge increase in their numbers and it seems like everything is doing alright. Amazing. Heavenly Father knows his missionaries and is really working through us to bring to pass his work.

The other other news has to do with an ex hermana that was serving here. Well ... she is back in Penco ... and she is here to get married to our Elders Quorum President. What da heck?? She was just here a cambio ago!!! Hermana Romney and I have just been blown away by this drama. It is the real world ... brought right under our noses. Just know that I promise to never do that. I am soooo happy for this couple ... but I don't think I could ever do it. Ayayayay. I can't write anything to do this drama justice ... but all of the members and the missionaries that have heard about it are just in shock. Loco.

We passed the new year super well. In Penco, they have a super awesome and terrifying tradition that they ALWAYS burn a lot of things all over the city. Right next to our house, they had the makings for a bonfire that was over twelve feet high. Obviously, we were in bed when the new year came, but we were wide awake because the bonfire went off and everyone just started to shriek. Oh my gosh. There are some real disadvantages to living next to a big open field where every single person goes to drink in Penco. But it was so fun to welcome in the New Year in Chile. I honestly don't know when I am ever going to be able to do that again. Yeeeehaw! I am excited for 2015!!! Pure good things ahead.

I am getting sooo much better at discerning the needs of the people. It is almost shocking to me. I have been trying hard to give people "the look" all of the time ... and it is teaching me so much. In the eyes of the people, you really can see everything. When things make them sad or make them upset ... when they are being sincere ... I have been paying a lot more attention to things like that ... and the spirit ... and it is changing who I am as a missionary. I LOVE THAT! I love that I am always changing and progressing to become better and better. It is just going to get better!!

I love you all so much. I know that this work that I am doing is REAL. I am so happy to be a missionary. I trust that Heavenly Father is watching out for you all and that he will provide the miracle ... always!! I know that He loves us! I know that more than anything. He helps us to get through and stand in awe of our what da heck moments. He knows how to quiet our fears and how to help us to progress. We just have to trust in Him and everything always works out. I hope that you have a great, great week!

CON MUCHO AMOR de CHILE!!

Laney

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...